.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

a hint about my brain

Well it's now a real live blog (well might be ;) )

Saturday, October 21, 2006

Heartless Bastards and the Swizzle Inn Pub Quiz

As is becoming a tradition (well been twice anyhow) we went to a Pub Quiz at the Swizzle Inn (north) on Thursday, two remarkable things happened. One is we came joint second which got us a 12 pack of beer (unfortunately Bud but beggars can't be choosers). This was despite me poo-pooing someone's answer to who declared war on the UK and then a few year later switched to declaring war on Germany. I thought Italy stayed enemies for much longer, but I was very very wrong. I also nearly snatched defeat from the jaws of victory by crossing out 45 and putting 51 as the age of Roger Moore when he took over from Sean Connery (45 it was). Luckily I redeemed myself by correctly answering Battlestar Galactica, Iron Maiden and Superman (they were all easy questions if you're into comics, SF and a bit of metal so no huge problem), quite where I pulled the answer to what Jill bandaged Jack with, I have no idea but vinegar and Brown Paper it was.

The other remarkable thing (and this is only interesting if you're a IT geek) is the games machines in the Swizzle run on Linux (I only knew as one rebooted and I recognised the boot up process). However if this every comes up as a question I and all my readers are sorted :). It'll also mean that the quiz master reads this, which is just a tad unlikely.


Found a really good band on Emusic called Heartless Bastards. They're gentle country punk, the female lead has a really distinctive voice, which I can see would be an acquired taste. And Emusic is cool, it's 20 USD a month and you get 90 downloads a month without any evil DRM (it's in mp3 format). It's not hit music (which is fine by me) and if you want to cancel you don't lose any of your music. Also downloaded: Lennon, Nick Cave (I know why do I not already have all his stuff, this is question I have been asking myself), Young Gods, Skinny Puppy, Gods speed you black emperor, Yo La Tango, Early Day Miners and Neko Case.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home